Thursday, September 11, 2008

Slavery


I can’t but wonder how hard it must have been to be a slave during the 1800s. Getting beaten everyday and working in the hot sun picking cotton must have been the hardest job known in the history of mankind. It must have been difficult for the women being tortured so much while giving birth. These women must have gone through stress that no one in this world could imagine since their children were taken away from them without any questions asked. And not only did they have to deal with giving away their children, these children were sometimes fathered by their owners. Life must have been the hardest for women during this time. I can remember my great grandmother telling me a few years ago that her mother was a slave in Trinidad. My great grandmother died at the age of 100 and she was born 1900. Her mother must have been a strong person to persevere and raise a family while being a slave.


1 comment:

jamiemarie said...

What an emotionally jarring blog! Not many people still talk about slavery with such passion. In society, I believe we recognize that it happened, but as generations continue on, it becomes more sureal. On a more personal level, this blog really reached out to me and made me think.