Thursday, October 16, 2008

Stuff Black People Like: # 12 Jordans

Can you tell me one African American you know that doesn’t own a pair of Jordan sneakers? Maybe Barack Obama? Well even he probably owns a pair or two of his own. Above is the Obama-Jordan t-shirt that has the famous Jordan logo that is replaced with Obama’s head. And across the shirt is the writing “OBAMA” making a pretty snazzy shirt that is being sold on the internet.


No matter how much the prices of Jordan’s, black people always seem to wear them. They range anywhere from $100-$150 for the current releases. Then there are the “exclusive” Jordan’s that people still try to get their hands on. I don’t know another type of sneaker company that could come out with a pair of sneakers almost every other month for exactly 23 years, sell those same sneakers back in the same order that they were released, and make poor old black folks buy them even though they cant afford a t-shirt to wear with the expensive sneakers that they just finished buying. Why my fellow people? I am not going to call anyone out because I have been through at least 10 pairs through my life.

It has become a way of life for some. I remember seeing a line on Saturday mornings at 7:00am waiting for the local sneaker store to open, so that they can get a pair before they are sold out 30 minutes after the store is opened. I remember because I was on this line a lot. And no matter how ugly the new pairs are, we still want to have them because of the name.

Now don’t let me get started on the fake Jordan’s. The fake one’s make Black people want them more because they are cheaper and we can get more pairs. What’s going on my brothers and sisters?

No comments: